SECOND CALL FOR PAPERS
2 ‑ 5 September 2015
Leiden University Centre for Linguistics (LUCL), Leiden
The Societas Linguistica Europaea and the University of Leiden invite you to submit abstracts for workshop, poster or general session papers for the next annual meeting.
SLE meetings provide a forum for high-quality linguistic research from all (sub)domains of linguistics. The upcoming edition of the SLE meeting will also host a round table of experts to discuss topics of special linguistic interest. The SLE 2015 round table bears the title ‘Interaction and Linguistic Structure’.
The deadline for all abstracts is 15 January 2015. Notification of acceptance/rejection will be by 31 March 2014.
- Marianne Mithun (University of California at Santa Barbara, presidential address). “Enhancing our Cognitive Leaps”
- Marian Klamer (Leiden University). “Typology, contact and grammaticalization: Evidence from eastern Indonesia”
- Ian Roberts (University of Cambridge). “Formal and Functional Explanations: New Perspective on an Old Debate”
Round Table ‘Interaction and Linguistic Structure’ (Abstract):
- Mira Ariel (Tel Aviv University). “Or: From a Logic-Based to a Usage-Based analysis”
- Asli Ozyurek (Radboud University Nijmegen and MPI for Psycholinguistics, Nijmegen). “Situating language in face-to-face communication: Multimodal language use, typology and insights from the brain”
Discussants: Kasper Boye (University of Copenhagen), Bert Cornillie (University of Leuven) and Petra Hendriks (University of Groningen).
SUBMISSION GUIDELINES: WORKSHOP PROPOSALS, WORKSHOP PAPERS, GENERAL SESSION PAPERS AND POSTERS
GENERAL SESSION PAPERS, POSTERS AND WORKSHOP PAPERS. The deadline for all abstracts is 15 January 2015. Notification of acceptance will be given by 31 March 2015.
Abstracts are submitted via Easychair (https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=sle2015). They should be inserted in the “abstract” box.
Abstracts should clearly state research questions, approach, method, data and (expected) results. They should not contain the names of the presenters, nor their affiliations or addresses, or any other information that may reveal their authorship. They should not exceed 500 words (excluding references). Only references mentioned in the text may be listed. Abstracts should have the same title as the entry submitted via Easychair.
Whereas general session papers can deal with any topic in linguistics, workshop papers should take into account the topic of the workshop proposal, and are usually pre-selected by the workshop convenors.
SUBMITTING MULTIPLE PAPERS. One person may submit a single-authored abstract, a single-authored abstract and a co-authored one (not as first author), or two co-authored abstracts (only one as first author). Note that keynote papers within workshops count as ordinary papers. Presentations will be maximally 20 minutes, allowing 10 minutes for discussion and room changes.
PRESENTING A POSTER
SLE meetings comprise a poster session for both senior and junior researchers. In order to foster interaction, all other sessions will be suspended during the poster session. Posters may remain available during the rest of the conference. The maximum size of the poster is 1.10 m (vertical) x 1 m (horizontal). For more information about how to make a good poster, click here.
Abstracts will be reviewed anonymously by three referees. Workshop abstracts receive two evaluations by Scientific Committee members and one by the workshop convenors. Abstracts submitted to the general session and to the poster session will be evaluated by three members of the Scientific Committee. The threshold for acceptance is the same for general session, poster and workshop abstracts. The acceptance of a paper depends on the quality of the abstract.
PRIZE FOR THE BEST PRESENTATION AND THE BEST POSTER
For current purposes, PhD-students are students that have not completed their PhD before the conference. Postdocs have completed their PhD not earlier than January 2012. A nominated paper may be co-authored; in that case the nominee will be the first author.
Applicants are invited to mark the option referring to the prize when they register their abstract. On the basis of the ranking of the abstracts, the Scientific Committee will set up an internal shortlist with nominees for the prizes.
Members of the Editorial Board of Folia Linguistica (Historica) and the Scientific Committee will decide who will be awarded the first prize (500 Euros) in each category, as well as the 2nd and 3rd prizes (a three-year SLE membership).
15 December 2014: notification of workshop acceptance
15 January 2014: deadline for submission of all abstracts
31 March 2015: notification of paper acceptance (postponed due to the high number of submissions)
1 April 2015: early bird registration starts
1 June 2015: full fee registration starts
30 June 2015: closing registration date for participants with a paper
15 August 2015: closing registration date for participants without a paper
Please note that unregistered participants will be removed from the conference schedule on 1 July.
Registration will open on 1 April 2015. SLE meetings are member-only conferences. That is, all participants with a paper in the program will have to be or become members of the Societas Linguistica Europaea. The early bird conference fee for members is 170 Euros.
The social programme will include a reception, a city walk, a conference dinner and several social activities on Saturday afternoon. Please find more information below.
The reception will be held at the Marekerk church. The Marekerk, build in 1649, is an octagonal shaped building. The reception, including drinks and small snacks, will be held on Wednesday 2 September and is included in the registration fee.
A two-hour city walk will show you the nicest spots of Leiden. You can choose several themes: wall poems, (hidden) courtyards, or Rembrandt. The walk is included in the registration fee and will be held on Thursday afternoon 3 September.
The conference dinner will be held in one of the other nice churches in Leiden, the Hooglandse kerk. This impressive and light church stands in the center of Leiden. The dinner will be held on Friday 4 September and includes drinks and live music. The dinner fee is € 50,-.
Excursions on Saturday 5 September
- Excursion to Delft
- Boat tour
- Guided visit to the Museum of Ethnology in Leiden
Delft is a small city close to Leiden and it is for its wonderful historical center very much worth a visit! We’ll leave Leiden by bus at 2 PM, so right after lunch. One guide will be present in the bus to tell something about the history of Delft. The second guide will wait for us in Delft. We will have about 3 hours for a guided city walk, visiting the Old and the New Church and to have a cup of coffee with some Dutch pastries. These 3 hours also include about half an hour “free time” to walk around by yourself. At 5.30 PM the bus will leave Delft and bring you back to Leiden.
Price: 40 euro pp.
“Holland at its best” that is what this boat tour through Leiden and surrounding promises. It will show you typical Dutch landscapes and villages, cows, mills, polders and lakes. From the water the country will look surprisingly different! On board coffee and tea is served with pastry. From the lunch venue, a bus will bring you to the harbor where the boat will leave around 3 PM. At 6 PM you will be back in Leiden.
Price: 35 euro per person
Instead of going to Delft or going into the Dutch polders, you could consider making a journey around the world by joining this guided tour through the Museum of Ethnology in Leiden. This museum is one of the oldest ethnological museums in the world and it holds more than 200,000 objects from all over the world. During this visit you will get a one-hour tour (starting at 3PM) and a drink in the museum café afterwards.
Price: 20 euro per person
HOW TO GET TO LEIDEN
Leiden is easily accessible by air, road and train. The city is located in the western part of The Netherlands, between The Hague (the residence of the government and the houses of parliament) and Amsterdam (the capital of the country). Schiphol international airport is between Leiden and Amsterdam, about 20 minutes by car or 17 minutes by train from Leiden Central Station. Trains between The Hague, Leiden and Amsterdam run frequently (at least 4 times per hour). The ride from The Hague takes about 12 minutes, and about 35 minutes from Amsterdam.
- Chair: Elisabeth Leiss (München).
- Members: Werner Abraham (Wien – München), Alexander Adelaar (Melbourne), Karin Aijmer (Gothenburg), Laura Alba-Juez (UNED, Madrid), Azeb Amha (Leiden), Peter Arkadiev (Moscow), Jóhanna Barðdal (Bergen), Valeria A. Belloro (Querétaro, México), Paola Benincà (Padua), Kasper Boye (Copenhagen), Ronny Boogaart (Leiden), Anne Carlier (Lille), Michela Cennamo (Naples), Denis Creissels (Lyon), Mily Crevels (Leiden), Bert Cornillie (Leuven), María Josep Cuenca (Valencia), Hubert Cuyckens (Leuven), Kristin Davidse (Leuven), Stuart Davis (Indiana), Philippe De Brabanter (Paris), Walter De Mulder (Antwerp), Nicole Delbecque (Leuven), Pierpaolo Di Carlo (University of Florence), Dagmar Divjak (Sheffield), Lettie Dorst (Leiden), Katarzyna Dziubalska-Kołaczyk (Poznań), Andrés Enrique-Arias (Illes Balears), Marion Elenbaas (Leiden), Victoria Escandell-Vidal (UNED, Madrid), Małgorzata Fabiszak (Poznań), Teresa Fanego (Santiago de Compostela), Antonio García Gómez (Alcalá), María del Pilar García Mayo (Basque Country), Francesco Gardani (Vienna), Spike Gildea (Oregon), Alessandra Giorgi (Venice), María de los Ángeles Gómez González (Santiago de Compostela), Francisco Gonzálvez (Almería), Stefan Th. Gries (UCSB), Kleanthes K. Grohmann (Cyprus), Eitan Grossman (Jerusalem), Eva Hajičová (Prague), Björn Hansen (Regensburg), Martin Hilpert (Neuchâtel), Hans Henrich Hock (Illinois, Urbana-Champaign), Elly Ifantidou (Athens), Junko Ito (Santa Cruz), Johannes Kabatek (Zürich), Gunther Kaltenböck (Wien), Cristóbal Lozano (Granada), Olga Kepinska (Leiden), Mikhail Kissine (Bruxelles), Seppo Kittilä (Helsinki), Alwin Kloekhorst (Leiden), Martin Kohlberger (Leiden), Björn Köhnlein (Leiden), László Komlósi (Pécs), Bernd Kortmann (Freiburg), Lívia Körtvélyessy (Kosiče), Gitte Kristiansen (Complutense, Madrid), Karen Lahousse (Leuven), Meri Larjavaara (Turku – Åbo), Pierre Larrivée (Caen Basse-Normandie), David Lasagabaster (Vitoria), María Luisa Lecumberri (Vitoria-Gasteiz), María Rosa Lloret (Barcelona), María José López Couso (Santiago de Compostela), Lucía Loureiro-Porto (Balearic Islands), Andrej Malchukov (Mainz), Francesca Masini (Bologna), Belén Méndez-Naya (Santiago de Compostela), Helle Metslang (Tartu), Amina Mettouchi (Paris), Katarzyna Miechowicz-Mathiasen (Poznań), Edith Moravcsik (Wisconsin), Henrik Høeg Müller (Copenhagen), Nicola Munaro (Venice), Pieter Muysken (Nijmegen), Nicole Nau (Poznań), Jan Nuyts (Antwerp), Miren Lourdes Oñederra (Vitoria-Gasteiz), Paola Pietrandrea (Roma III), José Pinto de Lima (Lisbon), Vladimir Plungjan (Moscow), Cecilia Poletto (Frankfurt), Lola Pons Rodríguez (Sevilla), Eric Reuland (Utrecht), Nicoletta Romeo (New South Wales), Anna Roussou (Patras), Francisco Ruiz de Mendoza (Logroño), Cinzia Russi (Austin), Fernando Sánchez Miret (Salamanca), Andrea Sansò (Insubria), Stephan Schmid (Zürich), Elena Seoane-Posse (Vigo), Petra Sleeman (Amsterdam), Elena Smirnova (Hannover), John Charles Smith (Oxford), Augusto Soares da Silva (Braga), Andrew Spencer (Essex), Mario Squartini (Torino), Dejan Stosic (Artois), Cristina Suárez-Gómez (Illes Balears), Catherine Travis (Canberra), Salvador Valera (Granada), Dorien Van De Mieroop (Leuven), Johan van der Auwera (Antwerp), Elly Van Gelderen (Arizona), Henk van Riemsdijk (Tilburg), Guido Vanden Wyngaerd (Brussels), Arie Verhagen (Leiden), Jean-Christophe Verstraete (Leuven), Letizia Vezzosi (Perugia), Nigel Vincent (Manchester), Jacqueline Visconti (Genova), Ferdinand von Mengden (Berlin), Søren Wichmann (EVA – Leipzig), Bartosz Wiland (Poznań), Dominique Willems (Ghent), Alena Witzlack-Makarevich (Zürich), Magdalena Wrembel (Poznań), Fernando Zúñiga (Bern), Paulina Zydorowicz (Poznań).
LOCAL ORGANIZING COMMITTEE
Chair: Arie Verhagen
Members: Azeb Amha, Ronny Boogaart, Mily Crevels, Lettie Dorst, Marion Elenbaas, Olga Kepinska, Alwin Kloekhorst, Martin Kohlberger.
Conference Assistant: Anne Rose Haverkamp
SLE CONFERENCE MANAGEMENT
Treasurer: Dik Bakker (Lancaster)
Conference Manager: Ana Díaz-Negrillo (Granada)
SLE 2015 Local Organizing Committee
Anne Rose Haverkamp, Conference Assistant
SLE Conference Manager
SLE GROUP ON FACEBOOK